Good morning from Alaska! It has been raining nonstop since yesterday evening. With proper rain gear, and with reasonable precautions, we bikers aren't fazed by this. I've told everyone that in situations like this: (1) This, too, shall pass (2) There is a warm, dry lodging awaiting you at the end of the day.
A message from Robb's wife: "Hi Mike, I am sending this on Wed night. Just spoke with Robb on the phone. He is at the Alaska 7 mile hotel just 4 miles north of Delta Junction. Travis, Dean and Dave will be joining him later this evening. Then it is on to Fairbanks for the 17th. Since no one is interested in making the trip to the circle, he was wondering if the group might depart for the return leg of the trip a day or so earlier in order to make for shorter daily mileage and a more leisurely pace toward Logan. Just an idea to keep from hanging out in Fairbanks for 2 days. Understanding that this would make for reservation adjustments, he will go with whatever works. I am sending this because he does not have internet access.
Glad everyone is safe and having a good time. You are all in my prayers.
Robb's wife, Denise"
I replied: "I wish we could do this but I have no way of reaching other bikers or confirming they got my messages. If I changed reservations for the four of us, and canceled current registrations, then the other five bikers won't have places to stay. If I could get confirmation from all bikers, then we could leave a day early. In the absence of a consensus, I need to stick with my current plans. This problem will be avoided next year because each biker will make his or her reservations instead of me guaranteeing two or three rooms each night. They, then, can make all the changes they want. There is a van that goes up to Prudhoe Bay and back daily. They might want to check into that. I just don't know what to do, Denise. Thanks for your prayers.Mike"
Her response: "Hi Mike, I certainly understand your dilema and the need for consensus. So sorry you have not had contact with the other 5 by now. I will relay this information to Robb in the morning.
Just heard from Bess Dennison from SKI-HI in Logan, Utah. We are working on a reception as we arrive in Kansas City July 26. I am indicating to her that our current plans are for us to stop overnight in Kansas City and we will be glad to be with them at the blind preschool program. It looks as if it will be just two of us ... Robb and me.
NEWS FLASH from Robb as of 9:45 a.m. Alaska Time
We are able to get on line on Travis's laptop. It was cumbersome communication through my wife.
We understand completely. Dean. Travis and I are in Delta Jucntion now heading for the north pole in a few. tomorrow we're going on the circle bus tour 6:00 am to midnight.
not sure about anyone else.
i think Chuck is camping in Fairbanks somewhere. We'll call him in few to see if he's interested.
might you want to go to the circle as well? (Mike here ... thanks for the invitation but I'll pass. I was already at the Arctic Circle a few years ago ... here's a photo!)
I hope things are going well.
Thanks for all you're hard work making arrangements etc.
see you soon.
Regarding the weather, there is steady rain here where I am (Wasilla) until tomorrow morning but the weather North of Fairbanks looks excellent and I am sure the bikers are going to really enjoy the tour. FYI, the "North Pole" Robb is referring to is a community about 30 miles away from Fairbanks with a Santa Claus theme. Really quaint and "touristy". Enjoy the tour, Robb, Dean and Travis and take some photos to share with us!
Updates will be unreliable from this point on It took me 20 attempts to log into this system to update as I've been getting error messages from Ipowerweb hosting.
We have an exciting event coming up in Logan, Utah!
Motorcycle Mini-Run in the Logan, Utah, Area Join in the fun!
The Logan Motorcycle Mini Run is part of the 7th Annual Alaska Motorcycle Charity Run, a 10,000 mile, 25-day trip from St. Augustine, Florida, to Fairbanks, Alaska, and back. Join us on Thursday, July, 24, 2008, for the Logan Motorcycle Mini Run which will start in Logan, then travel to Bear Lake, Emigration Canyon, Preston, and back to Logan.
Here are the details:Begins with registration at the Merlin Olson Park North Pavilion in Logan, Utah, at 2:00 p.m., Thursday, July 24, 2008. Instructions/map for the local ride will be given out along with a bandana for each rider. The mini-run will begin at Merlin Olson part at 3:00 p.m. and finish at 6:00 p.m. at Merlin Olson Park with food and music. Bikers on the Alaska run will be there to share their tales of the trip thus far. Some of them may join for a portion of the mini-run. Bike leader, Mike Tuccelli, deaf himself and cochlear implant user, will make a short presentation to families of young children about living with hearing loss.
The Registration Form is available in PDF format. Just complete the form and send it to the SKI-HI Institute, 6500 Old Main Hill, Logan, UT 84322-6500, or bring it with you to Merlin Olson Park on the day of the ride.
THE 2009 and especially 2010 trips will be spectacular with a combination of all the best parts of the past seven years plus adjustments based on your feedback. JOIN ME NEXT YEAR FOR A REAL ADVENTURE TO THE LAST FRONTIER -- ALASKA!!
We have a dilemma. we're here @ the Motel 8. We have to leave here @ 5:30 AM to do the Artic Circle trip. it returns @ midnight. We really don't have a safe place to keep our gear. So one option is to stay here but that would mean we would have to cancel 7 Gables. It would also mean we would not have to pack up all our stuff so early. Would that be possible in terms cancelling @ the 7 Gables and not encure any charges? We don't want to cause any problems.
Let us know
Dean, Dave, Travis, and Robb
My answer: I can't because other bikers who are going there won't have a place to stay and besides that the rooms are all prepaid by me. Options: (1) Ask Super 8 if you can keep your gear in an equipment room or (2) call 7 Gables and ask them if you can leave your stuff there.
I wish I could be of help but since I don't know where other bikers are and some may show up at 7 Gables, I can't cancel it.